Bude 26 - South Molton 12

Bude 26 South Molton 12 A LATE penalty try sealed Bude’s tenth successive league victory as they came from behind to beat a stubborn South Molton side 26-12 at Bencoolen Meadow. The visitors, who won promotion from Tribute Devon One last term, have enjoyed an excellent season to sit comfortably in mid-table, defended stoutly and led 12-7 at the break. However the home side gradually increased the tempo and a brace from player/coach Angus Hodges followed by a late penalty try sealed the bonus point. Hodges named an unchanged side for the first time this season although Simon Jeffery and Luke Dunkin returned to the bench in place of Rory Mead and James Comber. With conditions difficult for running rugby due to the wind and rain, the game was always going to be an arm wrestle and so it proved as Bude dominated the opening ten minutes but failed to break down the well organised visitors. And they were made to pay soon after. After being turned over on halfway, the ball was worked to full-back James Campbell who stepped inside and ran right through a gap by the ruck to score from 50 metres completely unopposed. The sign of a good team is to respond quickly and it was through their talismanic number eight Joe Wilson that they scored. After a series of pick and gos from 25 metres out got them close to the line, Wilson crashed over from five metres. Skipper Olly Denford converted. Just after the half hour, the North Devon side reclaimed the lead as second-row Brendan Darley again exploited space at a ruck to dot down from 20 metres. This time captain Callum Stone converted and it stayed at 12-7 until the break. Bude knew they were in a real contest but restored parity on 49 minutes with Hodges leading from the front. After a penalty was kicked to the corner, a driving maul was set up some ten metres out and Hodges had the easiest of tasks to score. Denford slotted an excellent conversion. From there on, Bude realised that the All Blacks would struggle to deal with the maul and targeted it. However the visitors dominated leading up to the hour with Joel Troke being sent to the sin-bin for a repeated offence at the breakdown. But bizarrely South Molton decided to keep going for the corner from penalties instead of going for goal. They were made to pay with less than 20 minutes as Hodges grabbed his second of the afternoon. After Denford and Will Pharo cleared the ball, the visiting winger was forced to kick the ball into touch without picking it up on his ten metre line following Pharo’s excellent chase. Bude then set up another maul which was grounded 15 metres out. Hodges picked it up at the base before stepping inside a static prop and then beating Campbell to touch down. With five minutes to go Bude grabbed their bonus point try as another ferocious driving maul was illegally brought to ground and referee Steve Smith awarded a penalty try. Hodges’ afternoon ended on a slightly sour note as he was sin-binned for an alleged deliberate knock-on but it didn’t matter as Bude reached the halfway stage with a remarkable 12 wins from 13 games. Reflecting on the game, Hodges admitted it had been one of their hardest games so far. He said: “Overall it was a very tough day and one of the hardest games we’ve had at home. We knew because of them coming up and doing well already they’d be tough and good up front and with the weather the way it was, it played into their hands. “Although that being said, we’ve always played well in those conditions in dogged games in the wet as that’s our sort of jam. We had faith in our ability to win. “At half-time I was confident. Apart from the tries they were not that threatening but they were strong up front. But I thought that if we kept the ball we’d score so it was similar to last week (at Plymstock Albion Oaks) that once we scored once we’d get into a better flow. “But in the end we did what we needed to do in the conditions, which were the first bad conditions of the season. Although it wasn’t free-flowing we’ve got five points at the end of the day so overall I’m pretty happy.” Bude are back on the road on Saturday when they head to another promoted side, Topsham. The Exeter-based club are seventh with six wins and seven defeats but Hodges expects to go into the three-week Christmas break with a win. He said: “We’re confident but with it being an away game we’ve got some really difficult away fixtures in the second half of the season, and given our previous track record we need to not only get the win but perform as well.” Bude — Denford, R Hodges, Sharp, Hilliam-Cooke, Horwell, S Yates, Mounce Black, Bolt, Allin, Kingdon, Troke, A Hodges, F Fry, Wilson Replacements: Jeffery, Dunkin, Pharo Tries: Wilson, A Hodges 2, penalty try Convs: Denford 2 Pens: N/A Bude’s man-of-the-match: Joe Wilson

Plymstock AO 5 - Bude 19

Tribute Cornwall and Devon League

Plymstock AO 5 - Bude 19 SECOND-half tries from Kieran Sharp, Joe Wilson and player/coach Angus Hodges meant Bude remain top of the pile as they edged past former leaders Plymstock Albion Oaks at Horsham Fields. The home side had won all of their ten opening games and were looking to bounce back from their 48-12 defeat at free-scoring Honiton a week earlier. However Hodges’ side were also unbeaten in the league since September and headed to South Devon looking for their ninth win on the spin. As usual Bude had to change their side around as loosehead-prop Adam Black and second-row Joel Troke came in for the unavailable Simon Jeffery and Steven Bromwich. Scrum-half Olly Mounce was fit enough to replace the benched Will Pharo while Steve Yates was drafted in at fly-half for the injured Charlie Watton. The first-half was a forgettable affair as both sides battled away without making much headway. Home fly-half Al Murray was unsuccessful with two long-range penalties while Bude failed to build up much of a headway, as they made a handful of mistakes just as it looked like they were going to break through. While the opening 40 minutes failed to come to life, the second-half sparked into life within the first minute. Bude’s return kick from kick-off was picked up deep inside the home half. After working their down the left, winger Reegan Spencer was tackled on the 22. However the ball was worked into the midfield and after a couple of forward pods, Devon number eight Tim Coats charged through a gap from ten metres out for the first try of the contest. The conversion was missed. The Cornishmen knew they needed to hit back quickly and they did so from the restart. After catching the ball, a ruck was formed and Bude worked it out into the backs. Sharp, who was playing at outside-centre, managed to get around the winger and then beat the covering full-back Thomas Tabb for a 50-metre try. Olly Denford missed the conversion and it was all square. With the wind and slope in their favour, Bude had no excuses not to push on and they grabbed their second score on 52 minutes. From a five-metre scrum, Bude’s pack proved too strong and number eight Joe Wilson picked the ball up at the base and crashed his way over. This time converted for a 12-5 lead. Bude decided to keep the ball in the forwards as much as possible. Plymstock’s frustrations continued to mount and blindside-flanker Derek Ingleson was sin-binned close to the hour after being adjudged to have played the ball while off his feet at a ruck. With around ten minutes to go Bude grabbed a crucial third try and it was Hodges who led by example with a try similar to Sharp’s. After some good hands going left, Hodges spotted another overlap and with winger Kieran Jamieson drifting too far to the outside, Hodges flew through the gap and outpaced Tabb to run in from 40 metres. The rest of the contest saw the Oaks penned in the Bude half without failing to trouble the scorers as Bude held on for their six win from seven on their travels. Reflecting on the game, Hodges knew that if they could step it up in the second-half they’d win. He said: “It was an interesting game. At 0-0 at half-time it felt more frustrating than anything, as we couldn’t build much continuity, which was always likely to happen in a top of the table clash when each team are 100% up for it. “There was never going to be a be clear winner and it was never going to be free-flowing and that made us nervous. We couldn’t play like we did against previous teams which is why we didn’t put the same number of points on. “But at half-time I was fairly comfortable. We’d been playing up the hill and into the wind. We were either going to drop off or start finding our legs a bit and I thought it would be the latter. All we had to do was keep the ball and the scores would come. In the first-half we had a fair bit of pressure but kept making mistakes so we knew if we kept the ball we’d start scoring.” Hodges admitted that the result should act as a springboard for the rest of the season. He said: “There were a lot of nerves with them being top for the first part of the season but I came away thinking that we’re a really competitive team in this league and if we can build on this and keep taking small steps forward then we’re in for a really good season. “At the beginning of the season it was debatable as to whether it’d be beneficial for us to be promoted, but after games like Saturday and the wins over Honiton and Penryn, I don’t think we’d struggle that much in the league above. “If we can build on our consistency on things such as turning up and having a consistent team selection then there’s no reason why we wouldn’t be ready for that step up.” Promoted South Molton are the visitors to Bencoolen Meadow on Saturday and Hodges expects a tough test against their sixth-placed Devon visitors. He said: “To make the step up and still do well shows good commitment and it’s impressive. With the amount of near misses we’ve had we don’t want to see any complacency. Continuity is important. We want to show everyone we can play well in every contest we have.” Bude — Denford, R Hodges, Sharp, Hilliam-Cooke, Horwell, S Yates, Mounce Black, Bolt, Allin, Kingdon, Troke, A Hodges, F Fry, Wilson Replacements: Mead, Comber, Pharo Tries: Sharp, Wilson, A Hodges Convs: Denford 2 Pens: N/A Bude’s man-of-the-match: Jason Bolt

Bude 43 - Plymouth Argaum 0

Tribute Cornwall and Devon League

Bude 43  - Plymouth Argaum 0 BUDE moved to the top of the Tribute Cornwall and Devon League after a resounding 43-0 victory over a depleted Plymouth Argaum at Bencoolen Meadow on Saturday. The visitors arrived in North Cornwall with plenty of players missing and at kick-off time only had a bare 15 due to traffic problems. Despite the circumstances, Angus Hodges’ men never let them off the hook, scoring seven tries in a dominant performance. As usual, Bude are much stronger at home and named a near full-strength side although scrum-half Olly Mounce had to be replaced after injuring himself at work. He was replaced by youngster Will Pharo, who has recently returned to the club from Bideford. It took the hosts just seven minutes to score the first try with the returning Ed Hilliam-Cooke heavily involved. After some good work by number eight Joe Wilson, Hilliam-Cooke received the ball close to the halfway line and went on a surge — breaking through a couple of tackles in the process. As he was about to be tackled some 20 metres out, he offloaded to man-of-the-match Finley Fry, who ran in to score. Bude’s set-piece was in fine form as usual and it created the second try on 24 minutes. Argaum had a scrum five metres from their own line. However, they were pushed back at a rapid rate, allowing Wilson to pick the ball up and crash over. This time Olly Denford converted. Ten minutes later it was 17-0 as hooker Jason Bolt touched down following a 20-metre driving maul. Pharo crowned his return to the club with a try right on half-time as he sniped his way down the blindside from a metre out after another dominant scrum. Denford converted for a 24-0 half-time lead. Hodges left the field after feeling unwell but the second-half was a case of how many points they could muster. Wilson grabbed his second from a five-metre scrum on 50 minutes and five minutes later Denford converted Bolt’s try to make it 36-0 after the former Launceston man surged in from 20 metres. With 25 minutes remaining it looked as if Bude could run up 60 points or more. However they added just one further try as replacement flanker Joel Troke picked up a loose ball and ran 40 metres down the left-wing. Denford nailed his fourth conversion from seven attempts. The last 13 minutes saw no real drama as Bude failed to add to their tally. Hodges believes that the visitors were there for the taking but was quick to switch his focus towards the trip to former leaders Plymstock Albion Oaks on Saturday (2.15pm), who were thrashed 48-12 at Honiton. Hodges said: “It was a bit of a frustrating one but I can’t complain with the score. We closed them down well and our defence was strong so I can’t ask for much more but we needed to link together better. “I don’t think we attacked the right areas of the pitch enough at the right time and we could have opened them up a lot more if we realised where the space was. But like I said, the score was good. “Now we need to have a hard week’s training and use Saturday as a springboard. We’re now top by one point and that seems to have fired the boys up, so there’s no excuse now for us not to train well. “I’m really looking forward to the build-up which will probably be our toughest game yet. They’re a Navy-based team. Their players can fluctuate a lot but at the moment they have some good quality ball handlers, especially in the midfield. “We need to try and shut off their backs and front up in the forwards and arm wrestle them off the pitch.” Bude — Denford (captain), R Hodges, Sharp, Hilliam-Cooke, Horwell, Watton, Pharo Jeffery, Bolt, Allin, Kingdon, Bromwich, F Fry, A Hodges, Wilson Replacements: Williams, Troke, Green Tries: F Fry, Wilson 2, Pharo, Bolt 2, Troke Convs: Denford 4 Pens: N/A Bude’s man-of-the-match: Finley Fry

Bude 27 - Penryn 19

Cornwall and Devon League

Bude 27 - Penryn 19 BUDE leapfrogged Penryn into second place after withstanding a late fightback at Bencoolen Meadow to win 27-19. The North Cornwall side scored four tries — two in each half — to go 27-5 up with a quarter of the game remaining before the visitors’ late rally, albeit to no avail. Despite winning 24-13 at Liskeard-Looe seven days earlier, player/coach Angus Hodges made four changes in the starting 15 including being able to name two of his most important players as inside-centre Ed Hilliam-Cooke made his first appearance since breaking his wrist on the opening day of the season and number eight Joe Wilson was also back for his first start since tearing his calf. They replaced Steve Yates and Simon Jeffery respectively with Adam Black moving from eight to loosehead-prop. Kyle Speare made a rare appearance on the wing while Tremaine Fry was preferred to his brother Finley at blindside-flanker. Penryn have a talented squad and made the long trip in confident mood having lost just once themselves. However Bude attacked them from the first whistle through the forwards and went 7-0 up within five minutes. Hilliam-Cooke received a pass from scrum-half Olly Mounce five metres out and used his strength to run through a two-man tackle to score. Skipper Olly Denford converted. On 16 minutes they went 10-0 up as further led to Penryn being penalised just outside the 22. Denford slotted the penalty. Both teams looked dangerous when they got the chance with the visitors using more of their backs, although for the most part, the defences held out well. Penryn halved the deficit when inside-centre Andy Seviour touched down under the posts. However Bude had regained their ten-point lead by the break. Hooker Jason Bolt went on a 30-yard rampage up the field before being tackled. The ball was then played out into the backs, who managed to get up to the 22 before Black collected the ball, ran over the top of the ruck and scrum-half Dan Duval to score from 20 metres out. A ten-point advantage is easy enough to claw back but five minutes after the interval, Bude were even further ahead. A penalty was kicked to the corner and from the resulting lineout, a driving maul was formed and from five metres out, second-row Joel Troke was pushed over the line. Denford kicked the conversion. On the hour, Bude had their bonus point try. Wilson played the role of emergency scrum-half ten metres from the Penryn line, dummied and ran through the gap next to the ruck to make it 27-5. In the latter stages, Penryn knew they had to throw caution to the wind as they needed three further tries or to get within seven points to secure a losing bonus point. And to their credit they went close through some excellent backs moves. James Salisbury’s try and Seviour’s second score of the afternoon, which were both converted by Paul Saberton, meant they were just eight points behind. However from the kick-off, Bude regained possession and ended the game with the ball close to the home line to ensure their sixth successive league win and most importantly, sit just three points off league leaders Plymstock Albion Oaks. Player/coach, Angus Hodges, admitted that the game had added significance. He said: “There was a massive build-up to it and we knew it’d be extremely tough. They turned up nice and early and were ready to go for what was the biggest game so far, but we hadn’t lost at home. “There was a really good vibe around the boys beforehand and we knew we’d have to do a lot of hard work and dig deep and we did that. “It was much anticipated and there were a lot of nerves going into it, but the boys really stepped up and fronted up and made some big collisions. Even at 27-5 ahead we knew we had to be right on it and not give them a sniff as they were playing quite well. But to get five points and them get zero is a great day at the office.” Hodges admitted that it was a real team performance. He said: “No-one had a bad game, we had the advantage in the scrums and lineouts and we fronted up really well so I couldn’t ask for much more.” Hodges has been at the club now for a couple of seasons and paid tribute to the supporters. He said: “Ever since I’ve moved here, I’ve beeen really impressed with our crowds, especially at home. They really give us that extra drive. “That’s been one of the biggest factors so far and it really does wonders for the team.” With the Tribute Cornwall Cup taking priority this weekend, Bude are back in league action next Saturday when they make the long trip to Penzance to take on Pirates Amateurs (2.30pm). Bude — Denford, R Hodges, Sharp, Hilliam-Cooke, Speare, Watton, Mounce Black, Bolt, Allin, Kingdon, Troke, T Fry, A Hodges, Wilson Replacements: Jeffery, F Fry, Horwell Tries: Hilliam-Cooke, Black, Troke, Wilson Convs: Denford 2 Pens: Denford Bude’s man-of-the-match: Chris Allin

Liskeard-Looe 13 - Bude 24

Cornwall and Devon League

Liskeard-Looe 13 - Bude 24 BUDE put in a workmanlike performance to defeat Liskeard-Looe 24-13 and cement third place in the table ahead of Saturday’s vital clash with Penryn at Bencoolen Meadow. The North Cornwall club scored 78 points at Withycombe seven days earlier and made just the two changes for the clash at Lux Park as Charlie Watton came into the side at inside-centre in place of Tremaine Fry, which meant that player/coach Angus Hodges moved to Fry’s spot at openside-flanker, while Tim Green made his first appearance of the season in place of Jack Horwell on the left-wing. Talismanic number eight Joe Wilson was also fit enough to make the bench after a number of weeks out with a torn calf. Bude failed to impose themselves early on but took the lead on nine minutes. Skipper Olly Denford broke the line after receiving the ball on halfway and headed for the right-hand corner before passing to Hodges on the right-wing some 30 metres out, who beat the defenders for pace on the outside to score his 13th try of the season. Liskeard were big up front and scored their first try on the quarter-hour as tighthead-prop Ben Palmer muscled his way over from close range. Inside-centre Nick Parker converted to give them a two-point cushion. That lead was extended to five points as Parker slotted a penalty before Bude grabbed their second try on 35 minutes through Kieran Sharp. His midfield partner Watton made a break from 40 metres out and was tackled with just ten metres to go. With the majority of the defence not back in time, scrum-half Olly Mounce passed it out to Sharp who had the easiest of run ins from ten metres. This time Denford converted and Bude had a 12-10 lead at half-time despite playing nowhere near their best. The visitors were next to score in the 46th minute and it all stemmed from great work by Sharp. After Watton sent a kick through to the full-back Ieuan Evans, Sharp got there first, ripped the ball out of his hands, ran forward and then passed to replacement Tremaine Fry for the easiest of run ins from ten metres. Although Denford missed the conversion, Bude were seven points clear. Near the hour, the hosts responded again through a Parker penalty before Bude grabbed their bonus point try with 15 minutes remaining. Some good hands saw the ball worked out to the right-hand side where Hodges and Denford had a two-on-one. This time it was Hodges who turned provider as he played in the full-back for his first try of the afternoon. The rest of the game was played out with the home side dominating possession but failing to find a way past the visitors’ well-drilled defence, which meant Bude left Lux Park just four points off leaders Plymstock Albion Oaks. Reflecting on the game, Hodges admitted that despite the result, improvement is required. He said: “It was a frustrating game for us, at the end of the day we got a five-point win so you can’t ask for much better, but performance wise we had an off day. “When we turned up we saw it was quite a narrow pitch so we knew we’d have to keep the ball a bit closer but unfortunately we ended up playing really tight which made it easy to defend against. “Our ball retention was really poor to begin with and we had quite a few handling errors which slowed us right down. We struggled to build any continuity in the first-half, which again didn’t help us playing an expanded game. It was like just a spirally circle really, which meant we played less rugby.” Hodges knows they’ll need to play much better this weekend and he hopes for a repeat of their last home league game when they beat Honiton 38-24. He said: “Last year we played them in the wet, which limited both teams although they beat us both times. They’re similar to Honiton but we were strong enough to deal with them. But if we turn up mentally, have a good week’s preparation and play our style of rugby then there’s no reason why we can’t come away with a win.” Kick-off at Bencoolen Meadow is at 2.30pm. Bude — Denford (captain), R Hodges, Sharp, Watton, Green, S Yates, Mounce Jeffery, Bolt, Allin, Kingdon, Troke, F Fry, A Hodges, Black Replacements: Williams, T Fry, Wilson Tries: A Hodges, Sharp, T Fry, Denford Convs: Denford 2 Pens: N/A Bude’s man-of-the-match: Will Kingdon

Withycombe 3 - Bude 78

Cornwall and Devon League

Withycombe 3 - Bude 78 BUDE’s excellent recent away form in the league continued on Saturday as they won 78-3 at struggling Withycombe in the Cornwall and Devon League. The Cornishmen headed to east Devon desperate to bounce back from their disappointing 60-12 defeat to Wadebridge Camels in the Cornwall Cup and ran in twelve tries to maintain third spot. Player/coach Angus Hodges had a number of players back in the fold from the side that handsomely beat much-fancied Honiton in their last league fixture and it paid dividends. Despite failing to score in the opening ten minutes, it didn’t take long Bude to grab their first try. Left-winger Jack Horwell was the beneficiary of some tidy hands which allowed him to exploit the space to run in from 20 metres. The try was converted by skipper Olly Denford. The majority of Bude’s tries come through their much-vaunted pack, but with plenty of space out wide, it was Horwell’s fellow winger Rory Hodges who scored six minutes later after an excellent offload by Denford. Withycombe did grab their only score of the day on 20 minutes through Adam Ykhlef’s penalty but that was as good as it got. Bude went 19-3 up on 25 minutes when they were awarded a penalty try when scrum-half Dave Richards kicked the ball out of the scrum before the ball was over the line. Richards then spent ten minutes in the sin-bin for his efforts. There was time for one more try before the interval as Angus Hodges grabbed the first of his quadruple. After Withycombe over-committed to a ruck, the ball was played out to the inside-centre who exploited some space after the home defender went too far over. Again Denford converted and Bude had a 26-3 half-time lead. It took seven minutes of the second period for the visitors to grab their fifth try and it came in simple fashion. A driving maul was from a lineout ended with Finley Fry dotting down. Once that try was scored the heavens opened as they ran a further seven tries in 26 minutes. First, Kieran Sharp had the simplest task of scoring from a metre out after Rory Hodges was tackled short of the line after a 30-metre run before Rory Hodges finally grabbed his second when a good move resulted in Angus Hodges offloading to his brother to run in from ten metres out. From here on in it became the Angus Hodges and Kieran Sharp show as they added the last five tries between them. Bude went 52-3 up on the hour when Hodges scored in a carbon copy of his first — exploiting too much space from ten metres out. On 62 minutes Sharp grabbed his second. Bude ran a backs move from their own ten-metre line which resulted in a fine run from Denford. As he charged down the field and the winger and full-back came across, he passed to Sharp some 30 metres out, leaving him the easiest of run-ins. Four minutes later Hodges grabbed his treble. A good move down the left allowed Denford to run clear with Horwell and Hodges either side of him. He chose the latter who had the easiest of tasks to score. Denford converted again to make it 66-3. The rest of the game was about whether Bude could stop Withycombe from scoring or whether Sharp could grab his hat-trick. Sharp managed it with ten minutes to go when he showed admirable strength to roll his way over despite being tackled on the line. The final word went to Hodges in bizarre circumstances. Hodges failed to gather scrum-half Olly Mounce’s pass. However he knocked it forward onto an opposing player, caught it and broke through while everyone else was wondering what’s going on. After running 30 metres, he then chipped it over full-back Joe Staley and won the foot race to score his 12th try of the season. The rest of the match was played out with ease as Bude won by 75 points. Reflecting on the game, player/coach Angus Hodges, said: “After last season, where our first game was at Withycombe and we found it very difficult, we thought it’d be a very tough, but they didn’t get a look in. “What was nice was only a couple of tries came through the forwards, everything else was through the backs which was really nice to see as we’re a bit of a forward-orientated team. “It was nice to show the depth to our squad and the versatility in our style. So overall I was super happy and hopefully we can take this forward. The Bencoolen Meadow outfit are on the road again this week when they make the trip to Lux Park to take on Liskeard/Looe, who were winners of the Tribute Cornwall League last season. Looking ahead to the game, Hodges said: “They’re currently ninth and a couple of points better off than Withycombe so I don’t really know what to expect. But we’ll look after ourselves and build on our structures. The first ten minutes on Saturday we weren’t quite clinical enough and made too many mistakes so it would be nice to implement our structure earlier and not take so long to get into it.” Bude — Denford (captain), R Hodges, Sharp, A Hodges, Horwell, S Yates, Mounce Jeffery, Bolt, Allin, Kingdon, Troke, F Fry, T Fry, Black Replacements: Cholwill, Williams, Bromwich Tries: Horwell, R Hodges 2, penalty try, A Hodges 4, F Fry, Sharp 3 Convs: Denford 8 Pens: N/A Bude’s man-of-the-match: Kieran Sharp

Wadebridge Camels 60 - Bude 12

Tribute Cornwall Cup (first-round)

Wadebridge Camels 60 Bude 12 PLAYER/COACH Angus Hodges admitted his Bude side never got started as they were dumped out of the Tribute Cornwall Cup at Molesworth Field. Bude have made an excellent start to their Cornwall and Devon League season, currently sitting in third with five wins to their name from six outings. However against the Camels, who are currently ninth in the league above, the Tribute Western Counties (West), the visitors were given the runaround. Hodges’ cause wasn’t helped by having to yet again make a number of changes from the thrilling 38-24 victory over Honiton the week before. Five players — Adam Black, Joel Troke, Finley Fry, Steve Yates and Kyle Speare were all missing from the starting 15 and were replaced by Chris Allin, Simon Jeffery, Tremaine Fry, Billy Roberts and Rory Hodges. On the bench, there was a call-up for club chairman Paul Cholwill. Bude knew they’d have to put in a sterling performance to progress against last year’s runners-up but found themselves behind inside a minute as giant number eight Dave Livett crashed over from close-range, which was converted by fly-half Danny Thomas. The Bencoolen Meadow outfit needed a response but were all but out of the game after 21 minutes as the Camels added three further tries. First, Joe Pretty ran through to score before lively scrum-half Owen Wilson took a quick tap penalty to run in from 15 metres and outside-centre Will Pengelly finished off an excellent move which started with a penalty on their own ten-metre line with a dummy runner allowing him to gain space on the outside to run in from 60 metres. Thomas converted two of the four tries and Wadebridge looked like they could be on for a massive score. To Bude’s credit they started to get back into the game through their strong pack and dominance at the scrum, and they grabbed their first try on 32 minutes as a five-metre scrum allowed number eight Ed Aldridge to barge his way over. Olly Denford converted. Aldridge’s try had given Bude a glimmer of hope but that evaporated within ten minutes of the second-half. Winger Sam Thomas was the first to score after a clever move. Wilson looked as if he was going to a kick a penalty into the corner for a lineout. However, he simply tapped it and passed it out wide for Thomas to score in the corner. Wilson was then on the scoresheet once again himself five minutes later. Danny Thomas again missed the kick. At 34-7 it was about showing some pride for Bude, and it was Cholwill who led from the front. A driving maul from ten-metres out ended with the replacement lock dotting down. Bude got to the 64th minute before Wadebridge added their seventh try, which was Wilson’s hat-trick as he sniped his way over from close-range after some quick rucks from a lineout. Three minutes later, Pengelly ran in from 40 metres after a turnover before Sam Thomas got his second soon after. Bude’s misery was complete with four minutes to go when Pengelly brilliantly intercepted an offload and went on a storming run from 60 metres to score. Danny Thomas converted three of the last four tries to ensure the Camels reached the 60-point mark. The rest of the game was played out with Hodges admitting they never they never showed up. He said: “It was a disappointing game from us. “Although they’re in the league above us, through the week we said we could we could beat them, but I do believe that because it was a cup game, physiologically turn up, so unfortunately we weren’t switched on early enough and they outplayed us in every aspect. “The biggest difference was that they turned up and ready to play. They came second last year and were really fired up and we were at the other end of the stick. We played alright for about 15 minutes but not for the other 65. “We had a few boys out and a few injuries, but if we turned up properly, we should have been able to overlook that and play much better than we did.” Bude are back in league action on Saturday at Withycombe, and Hodges expects a response. He said: “Hopefully a few of the boys who we had out will be back. We just need to train well this week and make sure we’re a lot stronger. “They’re pretty low at the moment in the table (11th) but in our first game last year we played them away and got turned over pretty heavily. We need to perform well this week, we owe it to ourselves after Saturday. We need to get back into our game and play our style of rugby.” Kick-off at Raleigh Park is at 2.30pm. Bude — Denford (captain), R Hodges, Sharp, Roberts, Horwell, Watton, Mounce Allin, Bolt, Jeffery, Kingdon, Williams, A Hodges, T Fry, Aldridge Replacements: Mead, Innes, Gilroy, Cholwill Tries: Aldridge, Cholwill Convs: Denford Pens: N/A Bude’s man-of-the-match: Tully Innes

Devonport Services Ladies 8 - Bude Ladies 38

Women’s South West South Two (Two)

Devonport Services Ladies 8 - Bude Ladies 38 BUDE Ladies picked up their first ever league victory on Sunday as they eased to a 38-8 victory at Devonport Services despite having to contest most of the game with just 13 players. Travelling to Plymouth for their first away fixture since joining the league and only having 14 players to start the game due to previous commitments and work duties, Bude Ladies could easily have felt intimidated climbing the stairs up on to the impressive main pitch. Surrounded by the grandstands and a small but hearty home crowd, the game started and within a minute the home team scored an excellent try through their wingers. Already at a disadvantage, things couldn’t have looked worse. But while waiting for the unconverted kick to take place, the ladies where reminded about their patterns, shape and asked to stick to the original plan. At the first scrum of the match, Bude easily pushed Devonport back causing a unfortunate collapse which left Hannah Pickard unable to continue due to a neck strain. Now down to 13 v 15, the ladies dug deep, stayed calm and ended up looking like a team who had been playing together for several seasons as they produced some wonderful rugby. And building confidently, tries soon started raining through the autumn sunshine as they cruised into a 21-8 lead at the break. Starting the second-half after some sage words from inside-centre Vinnie James, the ladies played on in the same fashion, strong ball carrying, straight line running, hard tackling and keeping their heads saw the scoreboard keep rolling. A recurring ankle problem meant that Steph Prior had to sit out much of the second-half. Despite the three-lady disadvantge, Bude ramped up the pressure even more, finishing with 17 unanswered points for the second half and 38-8 victorious on the day. Frankie Perry scored a hat-trick of tries while Prior, Lisa Honey, Nicole Rowland and Emma Stefanotti also managed to cross. Coach Les Cushing said: “This was an important game for the ladies, for the first time they played with true belief in each other, stuck to the plan and got the result they wanted. Don’t let the final score flatter the team, this was a tough encounter with some thrilling rugby played by both teams, which leaves Bude second in the league standings.” Bude’s next match is a rematch with Plymstock Albion Oaks who beat them 50-12 on the opening day. That match is scheduled for Sunday, October 21. Bude — Eleanor Davies, Alex Gallagher, Tia Gray, Stacey Hillier-Cholwill, Lisa Honey, Vinnie James, Frankie Perry, Hannah Pickard, Steph Prior, Nicole Rowland, Mel Ruby, Rachael Shackleton, Emma Stefanotti, Holly Stephenson

Bude RFC 2nd Team v Crediton RFC 2nd's

Tomorrow our second team welcome Crediton - its a 3:00pm kick off. Please come down and support the boys! The first team are away to Withycombe RFC in the league and hoping to get back to winning ways. On Sunday our Ladies team are at Plymstock Albion Oaks, 2:30 kick off. Good luck to all who are representing Bude RFC this weekend!

Bude 38 - Honiton 24

WINNERS ARE GRINNERS!! What a match, one of the best seen at the club for a very long time! Against a team that have only had 15 points put past them all season, and scored 247! The boys really dug in, the forwards dominated the set piece, and the backs defended like hero’s, and some great tries scored. Onward to Wadebridge next week in the county cup.